I’ve had a Lone Star quilt on my mental to-do list since I started quilting…and seeing a block Elizabeth posted last week in Instagram gave me a push to do it.
(The block before squaring it up)
I thought this would be a bomb (not the bomb…aaaa bomb)…but it actually went together pretty easy.
The diamond strips are 1.5" cut and the red border strips are 1" cut. I realized while making this, that my seams matched up better when I didn’t pin at every seam. It might have something to do with the angled seams, being able to ease the fabric in as I go, or being able to feel where the seams intersect as I sew.
Or maybe it’s all in my head and I just hate to pin.
After I tucked my kids in bed I spent over an hour trying to figure out the math to make this block…and after I’d wasted an hour of my "Mom" time…I did a search online and found some great tutorials!
I used this tutorial for making the center portion….I made mine a bit scrappier.
I used this tutorial for adding the borders and finishing the block. She also has a handy chart to figure out different sizes and how bit to make your background blocks.